Roger Mills

Default Baxi boiler overheat

"Antony" wrote in message
.. .
I think you may have a possible solution. All the rads (except one) have
TRVs on them although I suspect this was something the previous owner

added
and not a Redrow standard fitment. This probably means that there isn't

any
special plumbing to handle such a situation. The only radiator not to have

TRV is the small one in the hallway where the thermostat is. Since I keep
the lounge door closed, the thermostat is actually in the coldest part of
the house.

Is the following a realistic scenario ?

Themostat in hallway demands heat. TRVs say it's too hot and close down
although the hallway is still cooler so the boiler stays on. Since there

is
now only one small radiator to take the heat away, the boiler overheats
because the heat cannot be taken away fast enough. When this happens, the
pump keeps running even though the boiler is not lit.

Is the solution therefore to set the TRVs to maximum and turn the hallway
thermostat down a touch to prevent the rooms getting too warm.

Thanks

Antony

That will probably solve the immediate problem, but may not be a very
efficient solution. If the flow through the hall radiator is unsufficient to
stop the boiler tripping, you need to increase the flow - perhaps by
installing a (preferably automatic) by-pass circuit. First though, check the
lock-shield valve on the hall radiator to make sure it isn't closed too
much. If it is, opening it may solve the problem - and still leave the TRVs
operational in the other rooms - albeit at the expense of a slightly warmer
hall. [You may have to turn the stat up a bit to stop the boiler going off
before the other rooms are warm].

Roger