Posted to alt.home.repair
h[_11_] h[_11_] is offline

Default *YOU* are responsible for high gas prices

wrote in message
Did you know that everytime you buy anything in a plastic package, buy
plastic trash bags, accept a plastic store bag, buy your kids plastic
toys, and the list goes on......
*YOU* are responsible for high gas prices!!!

If you think it's bad now, consider that new homes are becoming more
made of plastics every day. Plastic siding is the top sold siding,
plastic windows and doors, plastic plumbing (Pex and Pvc), plastic
coated wiring (romex), and it seems the wooden decks of the past few
decades are now made of plastic lumber, with plastic railings. The
houses are insulated with styrofoam (a type of plastic), and it dont
stop there. Your furnishings all contain at least some plastic is not
fully plastic. Are your curtains and fabric covered couch cushions made
of cotton, or a plastic derived plastic, just like much of your
clothing. Amd you know those plastic lawn chairs that rarely last one
summer..... did you ever see one of them burn? Compare the fire to
dumping a 5 or 10 gallon can of oil into a fire....

What can YOU do to cut back on plastics, thus cutting back on oil usage?

I live in a 200-year-old house made entirely of wood, glass, and stone. My
furniture is almost entirely antique (not a thing less than 75 years old
except for two desk chairs), made of wood and all upholstery and window
coverings are natural fiber. Our outdoor furniture is antique wicker sitting
on our wooden deck, under our wooden shade/rain cover. We compost and have
single stream recycling, so our "garbage" is minimal. All the plastic bags
we get from the grocery store are re-used to dispose of the scooped contents
of our cats' litter boxes or storage protection for any items kept in our
stacked-stone (damp) basement. All our clothing is natural fiber except for
my underwear (96% cotton, 4% lycra) and the lining of DH's suits (100%
polyester) but everything else is cotton, wool, or silk. I know, because I
make most of it myself.

And...since I drive less than 3,000 miles a year I'm doing my part to
decrease demand.