Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default DIY CNC - errors in lead screw thread.

On Sun, 18 Mar 2012 08:05:57 -0700, Bill
wrote:

On 3/18/2012 5:40 AM, Dennis wrote:
)

Thanks for the offer Larry, unfortunately I'm in Oz so the shipping etc
would likely be a killer.

Airmail from China cost $159 for roughly 48 pounds. Returning my
shipment would have cost roughly $600 via FedEX, UPS, or DHL. The USPS
could do a 5 pound return for only $185! Any time I purchase from
China in the future, they will have a clause about excessive return
costs and seller pays if he wants it returned. (I wonder if he could
have done a pickup for that same $159 he paid. I'll have to check.)

There's an eBayer in Eastern Australia who has Chinese ballscrews cheap, but
I'm even cheaper so I'm looking at some ACME leadscrews.

I'm using the SBR16UU bearing blocks, the quality is not the best, but
probably good enough for my needs.

shipping small items that will fit in a flat rate envelope (about 10
inches max length) or a flat rate box (up to about 17 inches for the
longer one) is not too pricy. and if the weight is not too much, it's
reasonable, it's when you want to ship something heavy.

The other way to get things from the US to Australia is to find someone
going there on vacation or business who will carry it

Shipping halfway around the world is outrageous! My entire M3 of
Jarrah only cost $400 to ship here from Oz. 'Course, I had to go to
Long Beach to pick it up.

--
The greatest justice in life is that your
vision and looks tend to go simultaneously.