Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus32296 Ignoramus32296 is offline

Default Leak in a Hyster forklift

On 2012-03-19, jeff wrote:
On Sun, 18 Mar 2012 14:49:18 -0500, Ignoramus32296

On 2012-03-18, jeff wrote:
On Sun, 18 Mar 2012 12:29:46 -0500, Ignoramus32296

On 2012-03-18, jeff wrote:
On Sun, 18 Mar 2012 09:51:11 -0500, Ignoramus32296

On 2012-03-18, Ignoramus32296 wrote:
The leak does not work, but the web page was there. I "printed it to

I mean the LINK does not work, for some reason.

PDF" and saved it he

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Hyster-H5...JustAnswer.pdf

On 2012-03-18, Ignoramus32296 wrote:
Jeff, look at this discussion:

http://www.justanswer.com/heavy-equi...ans-fluid.html

This is a newsgroup post, actually, web spammed by justanswers.

The problem mentioned was hydraulic leak near the starter from a
Hyster S50E, just like what I have.

What the guy there is saying, is that the problem was not leaky
transmission, but the fact that some spraying tube was not pointed
right, or some such.

Any comments?

Iggy, The link didn't work but I was able to backtrack to get to it.

The pdf link should work.
nope error 401 I had to backspace to your temp folder and go from
there

Good. Here's an easier link:

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Hyster-H50F.pdf

let me get this straight, your truck has a powershift transmission
(no clutch) with a monotrol pedal. Three oil lines leaving side of
the pedal going to the control valve on the tranny.

yes!

I'm not going to get to this untill tomorrow or tuesday. I will have

a chat with a fellow tech who has way more experience than me on
transmissions

jeff, you are the most awesome human being, thanks a lot.
\

GEEEEEZZZZZZZZZZZ Like DUDE.... your welcome :-) I am out of my
expertise with trannys by will do my best. I'm just trying to help in
an area I'm familiar with.

Awesome! The serial number is this: D002D13868G, if anyone needs it.

By the way, I was checking out your ebay stuff and saw that marklift
sizzor lift. If you end up selling that them make sure that you hold
no responsibility on it. I had to investigate one falling over one
time hurting two employees of a business I service.

Yep.

It was their responsibility to do and ANSI and annual inspection on
it. No one did it and when the two operators were 20" up with a
maybe too large load one of the worn out signor ear bushings blew out.
Over she went... not a pretty picture in a busy warehouse.

Scary! I do have a language that it is sold as is and it is the
buyer's responsibility to conduct a professional safety evaluation.

Iggy, I am very sorry for opening up a can of worms with the
Marklift. I would just hate to have you go through the hassles of
someone getting hurt if that thing should go over on its side shortly
after you sell it.

I have not ANSI'ed a Marklift in a long time but I am certified to do
so. Do yourself a favor before that thing leaves your yard.

Jack up all four wheels and check for any slop in the spindles and
steer rods. These will fail at the most inopportune time.

Set it back down on the ground and use the aux raise switch to raise
the platform up of its home position a few feet. When in that
position, grab a pry bar that is long enough to give you leverage but
will still fit between the ears/pivots of all the arms. If you notice
any play when you pry on each point the truck wouldn't pass inspection
without a total teadown.

Doing these two checks would at least make me comfortable. Once it
leaves your yard all bets are off as to what the new owner might do
stupidly. As a dealer we would have to do a thorough inspection on
this unit and at that would cost more than the unit is worth

I would not pass the data plate because of its condition.

As a side note, the capacity on this thing is 1000lbs in optimal
shape, throw a couple 200lb men on it with whatever other load while
in a raised position and then roll one wheel into a hole or over a 2X4
and stand back, thats when **** will hit the pervervial fan.

contact me off line if you wish. Just add "bell" after my name in the
headers of this post.

Off to bed

jeff

Jeff, I used it to have my guy do compressed air piping near the
ceiling.

I instructed him, in no uncertain terms, that he is NOT allowed to
move this lift in a raised position. That is, he should lower himself,
move the lift, and only then go up to the ceiling.

I think that the lift being unstable in a raised position, if it hits a
pothole at a high enough speed, is a basic property of any lift, its
center of gravity and the wheelbase.

So, the question is, as a seller of a used lift, what is my "duty of
care", that is, what am I legally required to do to ensure buyer
safety. I do not believe that I am required to perform an inspection,
since I am not equipped with tools or knowledge to do so.

I am, certainly, required to 1) disclose all known defects and,
possibly, 2) to warn the buyer to conduct a safety inspection prior to
using this scissor lift.