Posted to alt.home.repair
Harry K Harry K is offline

Default Chain Saw Chain - Number of Teeth?

On Mar 17, 10:23*pm, wrote:
On Sat, 17 Mar 2012 19:54:22 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

wrote:
So is the different number of drivers on the different 16" chains
based on the gear that drives the chain? In other words, why does a
16" chain for one Stihl model have 56 drivers, another 16" chain for a
different Stihl model have 57 drivers, etc?

The drivers affect the match to the gear. *Same as if you were matching
teeth on two gears. *If one gear has 10 teeth per inch, the other one
needs the same or they wont mesh. *The amount of teeth dont matter, it's
the drivers must match the gear or it wont work. *Then the bar needs the
proper thickness of the drivers to fit correctly in the groove.

Look up the make and model of your saw on the web. *Find a downloadable
manual, it will tell you what to buy, or give you a phone number to
call. *The packages on those generic chains are mostly worthless.

Or just look on the bar and buy a chain with the size and driver
number specified on it. I don't think think there are any bars
anymore that don't have the info stamped right on them. I could be
wrong tho, just ask my wife.

Harry K