Roger Mills

Default New Kitchen: Flooring b4 units or units b4 flooring?

On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 08:55:20 +0100, "Vortex"

wrote:
Hi,

I'm installing a new kitchen in my home. The room is completely empty.
Cabling, plumbing and drainage are in place.

The floor is good condition timber boarding (60's). Floorcovering will

be
vinyl (roll) on hardboard.

Q. I have the option to install the floorcovering either before, or

after
the kitchen units but have had conflicting advice from floorcovering

people.

What is normal practice? (if indeed there is a normal practice). My
inclination is to take the floorcovering to the walls in all directions,
then install the kitchen above.

David.

ps. future access to underfloor services is not an issue.

Fit the flooring first and put the units on top. The flooring doesn't
necessarily have to go all the way to the wall as long as it goes under the
units by a couple of inches - except where there are removeable items like
washing machines and cookers. This makes a far neater job because, if you
trim the flooring against the units, there is a danger that it will curl up
at the edges, and that grot and wet will get under it.

If you subsequently want to replace the flooring, you can cut it off against
the units - and you're no worse off than if it had been fitted up to the
units in the first place.

Roger