Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wild_Bill Wild_Bill is offline

Default Leak in a Hyster forklift

And.. that was why I suggested that it's a matter of keeping all the fluids
topped off, every day.

This was a routine included in everyday checks before the daylight shift
started using the trucks (IC and electric types) when I was doing industrial
maintenance.
It's not only a good idea from a maintenance/service position, but also as a
matter of safety.
Otherwise, some worker may hop on a truck after sitting overnight and run it
across the shop without seeing the big puddle of brake fluid underneath it.

So, for you at least, just keeping the fluids topped off probably wouldn't
cost much.. until another forklift bargain comes along.
I didn't realize I'd have to spell it out for you.

Nothing is maintenance-free.. if you want a forklift that doesn't require
you to repair or maintain it, you'll likely need to buy a new one with an
on-site maintenance, service and repair contract.

Your save of that pfd still doesn't seem to werk.

And you should know, there is a lot of inaccurate info posted to web
forums.. like adding some miracle product to the oil to stop a leak.

Cottage cheese and pepper is good.

--
WB

On 2012-03-18, Wild_Bill wrote:
Sad that there are a few here in RCM that will typically contradict all
other opinions and insist on posting misinformation, until they're
addressed
by someone with an actual working background and experience in a field,
comes along to post the correct information.

Ig should tear down his lift to find the leak just for the experience, if
nothing else.

Or.. he could figure out how to check the lift's fluids (all of 'em) to
determine an accurate assessment of how much is leaking per day/week.

Then he should be able to make sure the fluid levels are checked
regularly
and topped off.. or have the lift properly repaired.

Unlike many other situations where the truck's purchase cost and repair
costs/down time could be a significant factor, Ig can probably find a
replacement truck without suffering a huge loss of money or down time.

I prefer repairing my own stuff.. that way one knows what they have, and
that the repairs were done correctly (but I don't even do my own car
repairs
anymore, mainly because I don't need to).

WB, while I generally agree with what you say, I am also wary of
tearing into stuff that I do not understand. This does not work out
well every time, unfortunately. There is a lot of variables and
unknowns here. I saw a discussion where someone said that the problem
was not leaky transmission case, but instead, the fact that trans oil
was sprayed where it was not supposed to go.

http://www.justanswer.com/heavy-equi...ans-fluid.html

If the above opinion was true and correct, tearnig the forklift apart
would not necessarily lead me to success.