Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Stanley Schaefer Stanley Schaefer is offline

Default Leak in a Hyster forklift

On Mar 18, 8:00*am, Ignoramus32296 ignoramus32...@NOSPAM.
On 2012-03-18, Wild_Bill wrote:

Sad that there are a few here in RCM that will typically contradict all
other opinions and insist on posting misinformation, until they're addressed
by someone with an actual working background and experience in a field,
comes along to post the correct information.

Ig should tear down his lift to find the leak just for the experience, if
nothing else.

Or.. he could figure out how to check the lift's fluids (all of 'em) to
determine an accurate assessment of how much is leaking per day/week.

Then he should be able to make sure the fluid levels are checked regularly
and topped off.. or have the lift properly repaired.

Unlike many other situations where the truck's purchase cost and repair
costs/down time could be a significant factor, Ig can probably find a
replacement truck without suffering a huge loss of money or down time.

I prefer repairing my own stuff.. that way one knows what they have, and
that the repairs were done correctly (but I don't even do my own car repairs
anymore, mainly because I don't need to).

WB, while I generally agree with what you say, I am also wary of
tearing into stuff that I do not understand. This does not work out
well every time, unfortunately. There is a lot of variables and
unknowns here. I saw a discussion where someone said that the problem
was not leaky transmission case, but instead, the fact that trans oil
was sprayed where it was not supposed to go.

http://www.justanswer.com/heavy-equi...h50f-sci.elect...

If the above opinion was true and correct, tearnig the forklift apart
would not necessarily lead me to success.

i- Hide quoted text -

There's a fairly simple way of checking what's leaking and where, and
that's UV dye that can be had at NAPA. There are types that can be
had that are both water- and oil-soluble and flouresce in different
colors. I use a UV scorpion light for looking, it's just a UV
flashlight and can be found pretty cheaply online. If you've got
multiple possibilities, you add the dye to one possible source at a
time, then check for leaks. I've used this system for ATF, engine
oil, power steering, and coolant, works great. Finds the drip-a-day
ones, too. Sometimes it's as simple as a clamp that's hidden and
needs tightening. In another case, it was a radiator damaged at a
lower corner but didn't look like it. Glowed like a demon, though.
You just have to make sure the dye gets cleaned off before finding the
NEXT leak.

Stan