Posted to rec.woodworking
busbus[_2_] busbus[_2_] is offline

Default How best to cut a piece of melamine shelving so it doesn't chip?

Hello,

I have the need to cut a piece of melamine shelf into about 16-inch pieces.
The shelf is six-feet long and 12-inches wide and it is a bit unruly for me
to hold on the table saw by myself. So I figured I should make 18-inch wide
piece with my circular saw then cut them down to final size on the table
saw.

I have three questions:

1. I do not have a melamine blade on either saw. Do you think I can keep
chipping to a minimum by running a piece of masking tape over the line I am
cutting?

2. Which side is facing up for the circular saw?

3. Which side is facing up for the table saw?

Thanks!
ray