Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default Furnace blower into garage shop fan?

wrote:
On Mar 16, 11:50 pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
Where I am, the largest furnace blower I see, is typicall 1/2 HP,
which should be 375 or so watts. Not a lot of oomph.

If the cord is getting hot, sounds like either the fan windings are
bad, or something is wired wrong. Of course, that might be the
reason you found the fan on the curb..... it's bad?

I'm down with the above. If 25ft of 12 gauge is getting
hot, something isn't right. Assuming of course this is a
typical home furnace blower. They only typically run a
15 amp circuit to the furnace, which means 14 gauge
should be plenty.

I've never seen a home furnace fan that needed more than single digit amps.