Posted to alt.home.repair

Default small stiring heating unit Picture enclosed

On Mar 17, 4:56*pm, joevan wrote:
On Sat, 17 Mar 2012 13:23:46 -0400, joevan
wrote:

On Sat, 17 Mar 2012 09:18:38 -0700 (PDT), Evan
wrote:

On Mar 17, 8:41*am, joevan wrote:
On Fri, 16 Mar 2012 20:31:34 -0700 (PDT), Evan

wrote:
On Mar 16, 9:05*pm, joevan wrote:
On Fri, 16 Mar 2012 19:59:25 -0400, joevan
wrote:

On Fri, 16 Mar 2012 19:13:42 -0400, RBM wrote:

On 3/16/2012 6:10 PM, joevan wrote:
On Fri, 16 Mar 2012 17:06:00 -0400, *wrote:

On 3/16/2012 2:36 PM, joevan wrote:
I am looking for a place where I can get 8 inches or a foot of resist
wire. It is about 3/8 inch in diameter. The unit fails to get hot
enough anymore and we need it and cannot find anything like it.
What type of supply house or business do I start my search with.

It does sound like you're looking for a heating element, not a
resistance wire. Why not replace the heater?
It is not a heater. It is a unit with a heated surface and a pan with
a special column thru which a column and it supports a special
stirring paddle. We have searched for such.

*From my assistants email
" Tefal no longer advertises it as you said and it didn’t mention
parts available under the section for repair. I will keep looking."

* * * *OK, It sounds like some type of Calrod. On one end of the rod there
should be a wattage and voltage stamped into the metal. This should help
to locate a similar element if the manufacturer can't get you a replacement
I could post a picture of the heat element. What is a good place to do
so?

http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/3622/img0177rj.jpg

Maybe a picture of the entire device would be
good also, so that how that heating element/
Calrod is being used by the appliance...

~~ Evan

Ok I will try but to get to the heating unit I had to remove some of
the wires. They make it very difficult to get inside of newer things,
I guess to keep people from repairing them.

Because many small appliances can be dangerous
if you do not repair them correctly -- you definitely
will void the UL rating unless you replace what you
suspect is the faulty part with an identical one, and
given how purpose-specific that application seems
it is unlikely to be available as a replacement part...

Appliances made these days are meant to be
recycled when they fail, the high cost of some
of the replacement parts and the labor to install
them is supposed to motivate you to buy a newer
unit..

~~ Evan

I would buy a new one if I could find one. We use it to make a special
paste used for paper repair. If it can be repaired that would be good
and would save me the 25 minutes of standing at the gas range stirring
it while the paste cooks.

Here is another shot showing the wire leading to the thermostat.
Also another one showing connection wires above the heating element.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...mg0180sy.jpg/- Hide quoted text -

You've verified that you have 120V present at the heating
element, ie that it's not the thermostat or something else
that's faulty? In my experience, it's more often something
other than the heating element itself.