Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default DIY CNC - errors in lead screw thread.

On Sat, 17 Mar 2012 12:43:40 -0500, Ignoramus13020

On 2012-03-17, Dennis wrote:
I've just test run a little CNC router / mill I've put together.

At the moment I'm using M10 x 1.5mm pitch allthread for the lead screws and
PVC blocks for the nuts.

I've calibrated the axes (Mach3) using the 1.5mm leadscrew pitch and the
known motor steps/rev.

With a dial gauge on an axis, when I do a 1mm move sometimes I see 0.90mm or
0.95, sometimes 1.0. It seems repeatable, ie if I reverse the steps I see
the same values.

What do people think? I guess this is typical for cheap bit of allthread
from the local hardware store?

ACME leadscrews are on the drawing board when finances are willing....

I would look for problems elsewhere.

Ditto. Sounds like there might be some play in the leadscrew mounts.

Dennis, I have a spare (unmachined ends) RM1204 (12mm) x 300mm
leadscrew for sale fairly cheap, if you're interested. I also have 4
extra SBR12UU linear bearing blocks. (from a misunderstanding with a
Chinese supplier.)

--
The greatest justice in life is that your
vision and looks tend to go simultaneously.