Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What is a good treatment for wooden shovel handles

On Fri, 16 Mar 2012 18:59:36 -0700, Dan Musicant wrote:

On Sun, 11 Mar 2012 22:01:01 -0500, "Doug"
wrote:

:On Sun, 11 Mar 2012 18:39:05 -0600, wrote:
:
:Over time the wooden handles on shovels and other garden tools tend to
:dry out and crack. Particularly when they get weathered. I know it's
:best to keep them indoors, but that dont always happen. I was thinking
:about oiling all of them. But with what? Just plain motor oil, or
:maybe some linseed oil? Actually I just tried some saddle oil on one of
:them called Neatsfoot oil. I only did this because the bottle only had
:enough in it to do one handle and I wanted to get rid of the nearly
:empty bottle which was just wasting shelf space. But what is the
:recommended or best product for this?
:
:Thanks
:
:
:I'm no expert on this but I think my dad (builder and jack of all
:trades) told me to use Linseed Oil a long time ago. I don't know now
:if there's anything better but that should get you by. I guess no oil
:could harmful but perhaps some are better for wood than others. Google
n linseed oil uses and see what they say.

I more often than not varnish my long-handled tools like shovels, hows,
even the handles on my wheel barrow. Usually multiple coats. Also, I
like to keep them out of the sun unnecessarily. The UV will deteriorate
the finish over time. Varnished, the handles don't crack or weather and
they are easy on the hands, although they can feel a bit slick. That
doesn't bother me.

Fiberglass handles make all that unnecessary (still want to keep them out of
the sun).