Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus13020 Ignoramus13020 is offline

Default Leak in a Hyster forklift

On 2012-03-17, jeff wrote:
On Sat, 17 Mar 2012 09:10:06 -0500, Karl Townsend
wrote:

On Fri, 16 Mar 2012 18:20:00 -0500, Ignoramus21579
wrote:

One of my forklift leaks. I would say, 3 ounces per night. Here is
what I know:

1) The fluid is red colored
2) It does not seem to leak much when it is working
3) It occurs in the middle of the lift, closer to the back. Not from
the mast.

It was hard to say where it comes from due to dirt inside. I power
washed it today with hot water, and it may help with locating the
source, but I want to check what are the most likely culprits.

If it makes you feel better, my hyster leaks here too. Mine comes out
the hole in the bell housing. I'm pretty sure it the torque converter.
I got a bid of $2000 to fix it. I do a lot of my own maintenance but
not too exicted about taking a forklift apart.

Its a big job. are you sure that it's not coming from on top of the
tranny. I've seen oil flow a ways before it drips out of the bell
housing
I park mine on the dirt, now the leak don't bother me.

don't park it near your well if you have one
There just one oil for hyster, does both tranny and hydraulics.

Not so

karl

Jeff, I looked more closely after I washed it yesterday. I jacked it
up a little bit.

The leak is, almost definitely, near where the starter connects to the
motor/bell housing, and unlikely to be above that area, I think that
it is at the bottom or so of the starter connection.