Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Karl Townsend Karl Townsend is offline

Default Leak in a Hyster forklift

If it makes you feel better, my hyster leaks here too. Mine comes out
the hole in the bell housing. I'm pretty sure it the torque converter.
I got a bid of $2000 to fix it. I do a lot of my own maintenance but
not too exicted about taking a forklift apart.

Its a big job. are you sure that it's not coming from on top of the
tranny. I've seen oil flow a ways before it drips out of the bell
housing
I park mine on the dirt, now the leak don't bother me.

don't park it near your well if you have one
There just one oil for hyster, does both tranny and hydraulics.

Not so

karl

Sounds like you're an expert. Something I could use. This is my second
shyster, the first leaked at the converter and I never knew it had a
tranny fluid separate. A guy offered more than it was worth and it
went down the road. This one is a manual with oil clutch, model 4000H,
I think. It leaks at the bell housing too. Plus the clutch won't
totally disengage even after adjusting the linkage as much as I dare.
I can speed shift it but not get off with it in neutral and then put
it back in gear. have to turn the engine off. maybe not that bad a
deal but can be a pain.

How do you get to the clutch? Do you pull the huge counter weight off,
then lift the engine out?

I'd actually prefer to fix up this old gal. Its got gasoline,
pneumatic tires, and is just the right size for my needs.

Karl