Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default How much are you really paying for electricity?

Malcom "Mal" Reynolds wrote:
In article ,
"HeyBub" wrote:

Malcom "Mal" Reynolds wrote:

I have bought many items off Ebay. Sometimes I see an item I am
interested for say - $20 with free shipping. Another seller may
list exactly the same item for $.01 but charge $19.99 for
shipping. If you bought the item for $.01, do you actually believe
you didn't pay $20. What comes out of your pocket is what comes
out your pocket. Don't psych yourself or pretend it is only
numerical semantics.

the second one is a better deal if you happen to live in a state
that will charge sales tax on internet items

Good point. Except the sales tax people tax shipping, too.

in my state labor generally isn't taxed. shipping is labor, so I
doubt that it is taxed

Perhaps it varies. From the Pennsylvania Department of Revenue:

"If the item(s) being shipped is taxable, the shipping and handling charges
are also subject to tax. If the item(s) being shipped is not subject to
Sales Tax, neither are the shipping and handling charges. In the case where
items being shipped are of a mixed (both taxable and nontaxable) nature,
then the shipping and handling charges for the entire shipment are subject
to tax."