Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lobster Lobster is offline

Default extension leads

On 15/03/2012 15:36, Martin Brown wrote:
On 15/03/2012 15:27, Hugh - Was Invisible wrote:
On Thu, 15 Mar 2012 13:42:47 -0000, Fred
wrote:

About ten years ago I bought an extension lead from Wickes. Not
knowing any better at the time, I bought a long one, thinking that a
long one could be used when long or short lengths were required,
whereas a short one could only be used for short lengths.

Biggest problem with modern long leads is that if you use much power you
have to unwind the whole lot to prevent overheating. If you use thicker
cable you add to the size and weight. Intermittently used power tools
are probably not a problem but our wallpaper steamer is.

Or in the case of our local church fete a pair of 3kW kettles on a
mostly rolled up mad hot extension lead plugged into the wall. They did
it last year as well completely melting the inside of the reel. *SCARY*

Unfortunately your average lay person has no clue about the different
current consumptions of different appliances, and the significance thereof.

Even if they (often only vaguely) understand that a 3-bar electric fire
is more expensive to run than a 100mA phone charger, they have no
concept of what the different currents involved actually mean, and what
the safety implications are.

David