Posted to uk.d-i-y
js.b1 js.b1 is offline

Default extension leads

On Mar 16, 6:43*pm, RJS wrote:
"Arctic cable is only designed for outdoor use at 110v, we recommend
using HO7 RN-F rubber cable for temporary 230v outdoor use including
marquees."

No it is not.

It is a PVC cable, 300/500V rated, a bit skimpy for a rough industrial
environment where it may be subjected to not only clumsy feet, high
heels and mineral oils. It does however use colour coding to match the
assumed BS4343 connectors, for example yellow indicates 110V and blue
indicates 230V and black indicates you are using it in a theatre :-)
There are white, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple etc.

H07RNF is chosen for rough industrial environments because it is oil
resistant, thicker sheath & insulation, and in particular "07" means
500/700V rated. The higher voltage rating is important if you have a 3
phase supply (generators or commercial hookup) to a BS4343
distribution board consisting of lots of blue 1 phase sockets. It can
be used at any voltage re 110V, 230V, 415VAC. N is Neoprene which is
UV/Rot resistant unlike R which is not.

If a cable is going to get a lot of abuse, it is worth considering
H07RNF.

Unfortunately a few years ago whilst Arctic was 43-47p/m & H07RNF just
59-62p/m, the price difference now is much greater. I think H07RNF is
about double if not triple the price of Arctic, so I would prefer to
put the money on a spare plug in RCD - or just limit H07RNF to where
it is either needed or could be useful. An example is I would put
H07RNF on an often left outdoor extension lead, but a casual "vacuum
cleaner extension" could be Arctic.

A note is H07RNF does vary around the world, the cheap Asian cables
can be rigid as hell because the rubber compound assumes a warmer
climate (I think). The UK stuff such as Drakaflex is extremely
flexible even at freezing conditions.