Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default extension leads

On Mar 16, 1:06*pm, "js.b1" wrote:
On Mar 16, 11:40*am, Martin Brown
wrote:

I suspect part of the problem *IS* that people think the fuse will
always protect them if they are doing something wrong.

I am surprised at how many people think a 13A fuse blows immediately
you go above it.

And how many think the fuse is to protect the equipment rather than
the lead .

Equally, many do not understand the thermal insulation effect of a
rug, cushion or curtains on an extension lead. One reason I changed
all leads to 1.5mm H07RNF and 10A fuses, the rubber purely because it
is a little more robust to objects dropped on it (and at the time
cheap whereas now I notice it has jumped in price).

Isn;t there a problem with 10a fuses getting hot in teh plug if
someone uses that lead
for a 3kw kettle.

No idea if a fridge/freezer inrush mandates 13A over 10A or 7A;
standard fuse sizes are 3A 5A 13A. A lot of cheap consumer products
seem to be using internal components as the fuse :-)

Cheapest is education.

Are you saying we use students as cheap fuses ;-)