Pradeep Gupta

Default Grizzly 6" Jointer Experience

I fully agree with you, now (with some tinkering, as you said) it is a good
machine with a significantly lower price. I wonder though, don't other brand
machines require the same amount of tinkering?
"martin" wrote in message
It is common knowledge that you have to tinker with a Grizzly piece of
machinery but once thats done you have a great machine at a great price.

--
Knowledge speaks, wisdom listen.....
Jimi Hendrix
"Pradeep Gupta" wrote in message
. com...
Here are some observations on my recent expriences with a new Grizzly 6"
Jointer (1182Z);
1. A bag of hardware and the assembly instructions were missing from the
carton. When called, Grizzly agreed to send those. I have not received

them
yet.
2. The finish of the unit was very good. The base was well constructed

and
solid and the jointer tables were flat.
3. But the fence was not parallel to the tables (an offset of .25 inch

from
end to end) . When the fence was adjusted to make it parallel, a small
shallow circular opening at the bottom of the fence to accomodate the
cutterhead pulley moved sideways, causing some rubbing with the belt. I
talked to the Grizzly tech guy, he suggested adjusting some more with

the
screws to solve the problem.
4. The knives were not level to the outfeed table. I started adjusting

the
knives using a magna-set. Based on my experience, I would strongly

suggest
to Grizzly to replace their small 8 mm rather soft-metal wrench with a
longer better quality wrench (I bought mine at Sears) to minimize

possible
bruises and injuries to hands and fingers while tightening and

retightening
those 12 little bolts so close to 6 '' long very sharp knives. Also,

based
on my unfortunate experience, make sure that knives are not set too high
otherwise they will hit the infeed table (even though they will clear

the
outfeed table, which may be the only reference you might be using while
tinkering with the knives).
5. The table surfaces are smooth, but the levers are jerky, no matter

how
carefully you adjust the gib screws. I do not know whether Grizzly had
sufficiently lubricated the mating surface of the sliding dove tails on
which the tables sit. I would strongly advise others to get handwheels
rather than levers. They are very frustrating while you try to make

those
tiny last adjustments of the outfeed table to level with the knives.
6. The motor pully and the cutter head pully were out of plane by about
3/16", so I had to use a pully puller to bring those in same plane.
I am not putting down Grizzly but some of those experiences were not

fun.
By
the way, Grizzly tech staff is very cooperative.