Posted to alt.home.repair
Malcom \Mal\ Reynolds Malcom \Mal\ Reynolds is offline

Default How much are you really paying for electricity?

In article ,
Edge wrote:

On Mar 14, 12:07*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Mar 14, 9:56*am, Edge wrote:

In northern Illinois where I live, electricity is provided by ComEd.
However ComEd is really two companies. One delivers electricity and
the other generates electricity. In my last bill, that portion that
was billed for "Electricity Supply Services" accounted for only 55
percent of the total bill. As the guy who writes the checks, the
simple formula I use is Total Cost / kWh. This comes out to $0.149 per
kWh. On the bill the stated cost of a kWh is only $0.06968.

2 different items were purchased:

Electricity at $0.06968 / kWh
Delivery Services at $0.07932 / kWh

There's nothing wrong or even misleading on your bill. The cost of a
kWh of electricity is $0.06968.

When you buy something on eBay, did you pay $50 for the item and $6.95
for shipping or did you pay $56.95 for the item?

I submit that you paid $50 *for the item* even though your total cost
was $56.95.

It may be nothing more than numerical semantics, but since different
parts of the purchase may be budgeted for and/or taxed differently,
they really do need to be separated out.

I have bought many items off Ebay. Sometimes I see an item I am
interested for say - $20 with free shipping. Another seller may list
exactly the same item for $.01 but charge $19.99 for shipping. If you
bought the item for $.01, do you actually believe you didn't pay $20.
What comes out of your pocket is what comes out your pocket. Don't
psych yourself or pretend it is only numerical semantics.

the second one is a better deal if you happen to live in a state that will
charge sales tax on internet items