Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Pockets in AL plate

"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message ...

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message
I have to mill 32 round pockets into an AL plate. The pockets range
from 2.125" dia. x .180" deep to 2.625" dia. x 1.80 deep. This plate
will be a mold for injecting Urethane into thin wire wheel brushes
that are used to clean grooves and such. This encapsulating process
is done by another company that is a trading partner and good
friends. They just don't have much machining capability. In return,
I get a hot stamping machine that I have good use for.

Very much like this:
http://atdtools.com/8245

My first thought is to use a large end mill and do the center of the
pocket then enlarge the dia. with a boring head. Any other ideas?

If I had to make it on my manual machines, I'd subdivide the plate
into pieces I could bore out on a lathe faceplate, to get a better
surface finish than milling, and bolt them to a subplate.

I'd make some spares as replacements or to change the size mix.

jsw

That would be nice but the owner said no.