Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Hawke[_3_] Hawke[_3_] is offline

Default OT Is the George Plimpton who posts here an artificial intelligencebot?

On 3/15/2012 1:59 PM, George Plimpton wrote:
On 3/15/2012 1:49 PM, Hawke wrote:
On 3/14/2012 8:21 PM, George Plimpton wrote:
On 3/13/2012 11:28 AM, Hawke wrote:
On 3/12/2012 1:51 PM, anorton wrote:
The real author, George Plimpton, once put out a
criticism/challenge to
the AI community saying - regarding a chess-playing computer - that,
"The machine isn't going to walk out of the hotel there and start
doing
extraordinary things. It can't manage a baseball team, can't tell you
what to do with a bad marriage"

The George Plimpton who has been posting copious off-topic stuff here
(what real person has time for that) has been infuriating folks of all
political stripes by ignoring the real gist of arguments, resorting to
insults when all else fails, and responding with occasional
non-sequitors. All of these are characteristics of the bots created to
try to pass the Turing test and win the Loebner prize. The last
clue to
me though was his mistaking the thread about home scale steel
production
as a political thread.

Nah, he's real. I can tell. He's one of those super egotistical guys
that thinks that because he has a college degree that he knows more
than
anyone else.

Nope. I never talk about how much I know. Where you're concerned, I talk
about what you *don't* know - usually because you *can't* know it.

Yeah, what you do is talk as if you know things when you haven't a clue.

No, I don't. Can't you read, ****wit? What did I just write? I said that
I never talk about what I know - I talk about what you *don't* know
despite pretending you do, and how that leads you to spout a bunch of
bull****.

Your only problem is that you haven't any idea what I don't know. You
can add that you don't know what I know either. So when it comes to
knowing what I know or do not know you are virtually in the dark. Yet
you still presume to know things that you can't possibly know. That's
where your pretending comes in. Since you have no idea what I know or
don't know your only option is to make **** up and pretend it's true.
That's your idea of an argument. You have no facts so you make some up
and present them as the truth and expect people to believe you. Nobody
does because you don't make any sense. You make a lot of noise and
that's about all.

Hawke