Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default If Scotland gets independence

Doctor Drivel wrote
Alistair Gunn wrote
Doctor Drivel wrote

Such confusion and misinformation. Land Valuation Tax is on the
value of the land only and payable only by the landlord. It cannot
be passed onto the tenant in the rent, as the landlord charges the
highest the market will bare right now. LVT gets land prices down
and prevents land speculation and hoarding.

Of course LVT would get passed onto the tenant, landlords not being generally known for their massive charitable
impulses!

http://www.landvaluetax.org/frequent...passed-on.html
Why LVT cannot be passed on.

Thats completely off with the ****ing fairys.

"The answer to this question is very simple if you imagine yourself in the situation of a landlord.

Wrong.

As a landlord, I already charge as much as I can obtain for my
property. I may decide to charge a bit below top rate so as to avoid
it being empty, or I may stick out for the last penny which means I must accept that the property will be empty for
10% of the time.

That 10% is straight from someone's arse, we can tell from the smell.

Either way, I am getting as much is I possibly can.

Thats nothing like the real world for most landlords.

Once LVT is introduced, then I am liable to pay the tax whether the property is occupied or not. So I have a stronger
incentive to set the price competitively so as to ensure that it is vacant for as short a time as possible."

How odd that it doesnt happen like that in Australia thats
had an LVT for centurys now.

And even with a new LVT in Britain, it would apply to all
landlords, so they would all just hike the rents to cover the
new LVT and there wouldnt be a damned thing the tenants
could do about that because all landlords would be doing that.

http://www.earthrights.net/docs/landlord.html

Why a landlord can not just pass on the cost of LVT to the renter?

Another fool that hasnt got a ****ing clue.

If, as claimed by vested interests,

Usual utterly bogus line. As claimed by those with a clue, actually.

the land value tax can be passed on, why do not these representatives of special privilege pass the measure and allow
their friends to pass it on?

Because its always hard to get any major change thru the system, stupid.

The reason is they know that the land values tax cannot be transferred.

Corse it can be, and is all the time in places with an LVT.

- EJ Craigie, former South Australian politician, circa 1958.

Just a fool that never did have a clue. He didnt last long, for a reason.

A. THE CLASSICISTS:

1 Though the landlord is in all cases the real contributor, the tax is commonly advanced by the tenants, to whom the
landlord is obliged to allow it in payment of the rent. - Adam Smith "Wealth of Nations" Book 5, Ch 2

Doesnt say a damned thing about your silly claim that it cant be passed on.

2 A tax on rent falls wholly on the landlord. There are no means by which he can shift the burden upon anyone else...

Mindlessly silly.

A tax on rent, therefore, has no effect other than the obvious one. It merely takes so much from the landlord and
transfers it to the State. - John Stuart Mill (1806-1873) "Principles of Political Economy" Book 5, Ch 3, Sect 2

Even sillier.

3 The power of transferring a tax from the person who actually pays it to some other person varies with the object
taxed. A tax on rents cannot be transferred.

Corse it can by increasing the rents.

A tax on commodities is always transferred to the consumer. - Professor James E Thorold Rogers "Political Economy"
2nd ed Ch 21, p 285

4 A tax levied in proportion to the rent of land, and varying with every variation of rents... will fall wholly on the
landlords. -
Walker's "Political Economy", p 413

Still just plain wrong.

none of the rest of this **** worth bothering with