Posted to uk.d-i-y
Graham.[_2_] Graham.[_2_] is offline

Default extension leads

On Thu, 15 Mar 2012 15:36:30 +0000, Martin Brown
wrote:

On 15/03/2012 15:27, Hugh - Was Invisible wrote:
On Thu, 15 Mar 2012 13:42:47 -0000, Fred
wrote:

About ten years ago I bought an extension lead from Wickes. Not
knowing any better at the time, I bought a long one, thinking that a
long one could be used when long or short lengths were required,
whereas a short one could only be used for short lengths.

Biggest problem with modern long leads is that if you use much power you
have to unwind the whole lot to prevent overheating. If you use thicker
cable you add to the size and weight. Intermittently used power tools
are probably not a problem but our wallpaper steamer is.

Or in the case of our local church fete a pair of 3kW kettles on a
mostly rolled up mad hot extension lead plugged into the wall. They did
it last year as well completely melting the inside of the reel. *SCARY*

I am inclined to the view now that they should include a thermal cutout!
The clear warning on the reel has little or no effect on most folk

Similar story, this time a conveyer type toaster in the breakfast room
of a Premier Inn. Wound-up extention cable under table geting
noticably hot.

I told the maître d’hôtel (joke) that it was dangerous and needed
unwinding, and that I was an electrical engineer (a lie) and knew
about such things.

It was still there the next morning.

--
Graham.