Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARWadsworth ARWadsworth is offline

Default extension leads

John Rumm wrote:
On 15/03/2012 15:36, Martin Brown wrote:
On 15/03/2012 15:27, Hugh - Was Invisible wrote:
On Thu, 15 Mar 2012 13:42:47 -0000, Fred
wrote:

About ten years ago I bought an extension lead from Wickes. Not
knowing any better at the time, I bought a long one, thinking
that a long one could be used when long or short lengths were
required, whereas a short one could only be used for short
lengths.
Biggest problem with modern long leads is that if you use much
power you have to unwind the whole lot to prevent overheating. If
you use thicker cable you add to the size and weight.
Intermittently used power tools are probably not a problem but
our wallpaper steamer is.

Or in the case of our local church fete a pair of 3kW kettles on a
mostly rolled up mad hot extension lead plugged into the wall. They
did it last year as well completely melting the inside of the reel.
*SCARY* I am inclined to the view now that they should include a thermal
cutout! The clear warning on the reel has little or no effect on
most folk

The modern 50m JoJo ones do include the cutout these days...
presumable for this sort of reason.

The extension lead Geoff gave me has a thermal cut out and it has operated
twice.

Once when a pillock plugged in a 2kW heater without unwinding it (he was
told not to) and then again when another pillock decided to charge up two
cherry pickers without unwinding it (without asking to use it).

I was suprised at how long it took to reset the trip/cool down even after I
had unwound the lead.

--
Adam