Posted to alt.home.repair
George George is offline

Default How much are you really paying for electricity?

On 3/14/2012 12:32 PM, wrote:
On Mar 14, 11:44 am, Mark wrote:
On 03/14/2012 08:56 AM, Edge wrote:

In northern Illinois where I live, electricity is provided by ComEd.
However ComEd is really two companies. One delivers electricity and
the other generates electricity. In my last bill, that portion that
was billed for "Electricity Supply Services" accounted for only 55
percent of the total bill. As the guy who writes the checks, the
simple formula I use is Total Cost / kWh. This comes out to $0.149 per
kWh. On the bill the stated cost of a kWh is only $0.06968.

That's the way I figure it (amount of bill / amount used). I skip all
the fake costs (before the add the many fees and taxes). Like your
example, there can be a big difference between what they say the rate is
and what it actually is.

--
Mark Lloydhttp://notstupid.us

"I am treated as evil by people who claim that they are being oppressed
because they are not allowed to force me to practice what they do." [D.
Dale Gulledge]

I don't know who the "they" is that you're referring to. But as
someone pointed out earlier, since they reduced some regulation
and invited more competition in many places, it's not unusual
for the electric to be billed in two parts, one for generation and
the other for delivery. You can even choose to buy your electric
generation from multiple sources here in NJ. And the
bill is perfectly clear and easy to understand.

We have competition here in PA but it didn't amount to anything since
all of the "competitors" didn't produce electricity and were simply
buying it from our electric utility who has huge excess capacity.

Basically a half dozen resellers popped up and annoyed the crap out of
everyone with constant phone calls with pitches of very minor short term
savings. Just yesterday we got a form letter from the local electric
utility. It is still disingenuous because it is opt out but the letter
stated "we are now required to give you written opportunity to ask us
not to release your contact information to other suppliers"