Posted to uk.d-i-y
hugh hugh is offline

Default If Scotland gets independence

In message , Doctor Drivel
writes

"hugh" ] wrote in message
In message , John Williamson
writes
hugh wrote:
In message , John Williamson
Council tax valuations

The revaluations should have been no more than five years apart.

Revaluation should only take place when a property is sold IMO.
That is the only point at which the value of the property has any
relationship with your income.

Then you get the situation where, like my previous home, it doesn't
change hands for ten years, by which time it had almost quadrupled in
value. the one over the road changed hands four time while I was
there, and septupled in value over the same period, before dropping
back to five times it's 2001 value. Under the current system, they're
both in Band A, and both sold for about the same price in 2001.

I know a number of people who have been in the same house for over
thirty years. Are you suggesting that their property taxes should be
based on a value from the 1970s?

Why not? Their property value now is determined by what other people
can afford to pay for it, whereas they may well could not now afford
to buy it themselves.

The reality is the whole principle of a property tax is largely
"unfair". But first you must define what criteria for assessing
"fairness".

Property is the bricks on the land - CAPITAL. The land is well LAND
(LAND & RESOUCES)

Glasgow is wanting Land Valuation Tax:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=XtZ-uOaLZdA

Well just to bring this thread back on topic for a moment, if Scotland
gets independence maybe they can try it out and we'll see how it works.
--
hugh