Posted to alt.home.repair

Default PVC railing questions

I've never worked with this kind of thing.

You could ask at the hardware store, bring some pictures along.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"jtpr" wrote in message
I plan on making a change (per the bride) this weekend to my from steps.
They are currently on the side of the front porch, but she would like them
centered in the front so we can sit on either side and she can see her
garden.

Anyway, these are some pics of the current layout:

http://jtpryan.smugmug.com/House/Dec...1919393_FP6WCW

As you can see it is all procell/azek/pvc. It doesn't appear to be that
difficult and in fact I may be able to use quite a bit of the current
railings. Essentially I will remove the steps from the current location and
place them in the middle of the front (that is about an 8ft span. Then cut
out 4 ft of railing and move it to the side where the steps currently are.
I'll have to buy a couple of posts to anchor each side of what is left of
the front railings, and one more to anchor the side.

But I can't see how to disassemble the railings. There are no clips so I
thing the top comes off somehow to get at them. People have told me they
slide off, but of course I can't do that as they are currently terminated at
posts.

So if anybody has any sage advice for this project I would greatly
appreciate it.

-Jim