Posted to alt.home.repair
paulaner paulaner is offline

Default Tip A contractor?

On Sun, 11 Mar 2012 15:33:05 -0700 (PDT), Frenchie
wrote:

No experience with a contractor till this past weekend. Had my stoop
done with limestone steps and bricks. He was the lowest bid of 3, and
I was hesitant in hiring him and his crew..because he was from India.
He claimed he was licensed and i did see his number. I asked him to
show me work he had done and he did, and i was impressed. I decided to
hire him, not only cause of the lowest bid, but I felt that he had to
have a lower bid with all the American competition he had to face. One
wanted almost double what he asked for. Well, he and his crew ( one
guy who was experienced with bricks and the other and him with the
lime stones, did an excellent job...no regrets. I gave him the final
payment and either it was me, or him felt that a tip should be
forthcoming. I did not know how much to tip him, so I did not. Its not
too late yet, cause he is coming back tomorrow to pick up all his
tools and left over cement. its not like 15% of a diner meal...I was
thinking perhaps a hundred dollars? Or is that an insult?
He charged me for the job $2800 railings are extra ( 2 sides ) $720
to another contractor. Am I suppose to tip both of them if at all?

I tip my general contractor so he keeps coming back. He charges me
time and materials for the job. I also provide food & drinks when I
can. Sometimes I'll just say "dinner is on me" with a cash tip -
enough for all the guys working to split it up.

If your guy quoted a price and completed the job without complications
- I doubt he's expecting a tip. It's really up to you. I like the
other idea of doing a reference. Chances are he will not bring
someone over, but you could take a picture and write up a nice
recommendation and give that to him.