Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ned Simmons Ned Simmons is offline

Default lost my balls, need bearings

On Mon, 12 Mar 2012 18:09:21 -0700, "PrecisionmachinisT"
wrote:

This one is a pretty good book

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...All-Categories

My copy is the 6th edition but as I understand it New Departure basically was the company that pioneered angular contact bearing technology and so it covers the basics fairly well starting from an era in time back before flush grinding was the norm and so it was absolutely imperative that proper measurements, shimming etc were undertaken.

--definately handy to possess an understanding of this stuff should you ever find yourself in a situation where you've obtained bearings of unknown lineage or where you've got no idea how old a spindle unit is or how the preset was accomplished at time of last bearing change because otherwise, if you just toss them in there then there's a significant possibility they will fail in a fairly short period of time.

Second that. Lots of practical information on ball bearings. My 6th
edition dates to 1947.

--
Ned Simmons