Posted to sci.electronics.repair
N_Cook N_Cook is offline

Default White "fungus" around a ni-cad

Phil Hobbs wrote in message
m...
On 03/12/2012 06:23 AM, N_Cook wrote:
Phil wrote in message
N_Cook wrote:

My tip for a SM IC to DIL adaption.
3/8 inch wooden dowel , cut a small flat to receive the SM IC neatly.
0.2mm tinned copper wire, free end looped around first pin , around

the
dowel with a bias so the wire lays tight against the up-side of the

opposite
pin and wind biased spiral fashion over the top of the IC and around

the
dowel. Finish with a final loop around the last pin. Clamp free end of

dowel
in a vice and solder each pin to its wire. With a razor cut the wires

over
the top of the IC close to the pins and cut along the centre back of

the
dowel. straighten wires. Some 1mm PTFE spaghetti tubing , small length
pushed over every other wire and glued to the IC body. Fan out the

wires
and
solder to the pins of a turned pin socket. Continuity check for

contacts
and
bridges.

Wow, that's a lot of work. Why not just use a footprint adapter, e.g.
the ones from Bellin? http://www.beldynsys.com/

Cheers

Phil Hobbs
--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net

I was not aware of them but can they adapt from wide .45 inch SM down to

..3
inch DIL for this purpose and 18 pins ? And for one offs,? thats more

for
production environment at 40 squid a pop .
My free "adaptors" are fully adaptable to any contingency, just don't

look
so pretty, and probably a bit higher profile due to use of a socket.

I don't think you'd use them in production, because you could lay out
your own and they'd probably be cheaper. The Bellin ones work out to be
under a buck each. They're dead useful for protos and repairs--I have a
couple of sheets of them, about $70 worth, and use them with some
regularity. You do need a couple of rows of pins to connect to the main
board.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs
--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net

Come to think of it, my method would look neater without the intermediary
socket. Larger dowel and longer cut 0.2mm wires, so can pass through the
original board. Just that over the years I've got in the habit of socketting
any replacement IC I've desoldered, there's always been the height available
with the stuff I deal with .