Posted to alt.home.repair
George George is offline

Default Dryer vents and gas meters...

On 3/12/2012 12:01 PM, wrote:
On Mar 12, 10:47 am, wrote:
On Mar 12, 8:31 am, wrote:

On 3/11/2012 5:34 PM, Han wrote:

diy wrote :

On 3/11/2012 12:56 PM, Duesenberg wrote:
I have both a gas meter and my dryer vent abut 3 feet from each other,
whihc seems to be acceptable minimum code however:

they are both under the deck.

The meter's regulator is just on the outside of the deck wall but the
meter itself is on the inside. My deck is elevated about 4 feet up but
it is walled with pressure treated slats, not tightly, but walled.

So instead of calling the gas company anyone have thots to if this is
safe or not?

If you had a gas leak in your house, could you get to the meter quickly
to shut it off?

If I had a bad gas leak, I'd leave the house and call 911 from a safe
distance.

My first call would be to the gas company. They tend to take leaks
seriously.

Maybe 5 years ago I would get an occasional wiff of mercaptan (the
odorant in gas) when outside the house. I always assumed it came from
the boiler when it fires.

One day the air was really still and I followed it over to the area by
the meter. I called the gas company and told them what I smelled and
that it was outside. Within a few minutes a gas company truck pulled up
followed by another one. The underground lateral was a steel pipe and it
developed a tiny leak where it came out of the ground. The guy shut off
the gas at the curb.

I asked about their quick response and they said
the dispatcher broadcasts when a gas leak is reported and they are
supposed to stop what they are going and go there.

What if they are working on or going to another gas leak? Are they
supposed to stop working on that one and go to the latest one that was
called in? ;-)

They called it in and within a few hours a construction crew arrived and
dug up the street side. They cut off the old pipe at each end and ran
plastic inside it.- Hide quoted text -

It's that liberal vs conservative thing. We conservatives
smell gas and being real men, we grab a wrench and go shut it off
ourselves. The liberals they look to call the govt to come take care
of it for them.

So what wrench would you have used to remove the security cap they have
on the stop out at the curb and then once you did what wrench would you
have used to shut off the gas valve?