Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Planer question

On 3/12/12 11:49 AM, dpb wrote:
Regardless of what mikey says,

Oh, we're being condescending now. Ok, jerkwad.

there _IS_ downward force on the feed
roller (and to a lesser extent both the cutterhead and the outfeed
roller as well).

There will be _zero_ frictional feed force w/o it, regardless of how
sticky the feed roller cover is.

F_friction = F_normal * Coeff_Friction

is a physical principle.

http://library.thinkquest.org/10796/ch4/ch4.htm (Chap 6)

Do the math for me, then, genius. How much downward force is there when
there is barely 1/16" clearance between the metal case of the planer and
the bottom of the rollers.

Also, why is is that I push a board through the planer with very little
effort with my fingertips on a planer with worn rollers and still get a
full removal of material. And explain how I can do this on a cupped
board. Do the math for me, Mr. Hawking.

I'm guessing you have experience with a planer that exerts a bunch of
unnecessary downward force. Fine, I don't argue that your does that. But
don't sit there and belittle my experience on my planer with your ****y
little condescending attitude, Missy.

--

-MIKE-