Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lieutenant Scott Lieutenant Scott is offline

Default Ring mains

On Mon, 12 Mar 2012 21:32:21 -0000, Rod Speed wrote:

Lieutenant Scott wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Lieutenant Scott wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Lieutenant Scott wrote

The fact that a considerable number of them ended up with live foil ionsulation.

Thats why the govt had to inspect the lot, and found quite a few.

They could have looked where the cables were.

Not possible once you have the entire area covered in foil insulation and you are stapling it.

Remember where it is,

Not even possible if more than one person is doing it.

or do it a bit at a time.

You clearly have never done it.

Why use one huge piece?

Here we have fibreglass insulation.

Because its possible to staple thru a power cable and kill yourself, stupid.

If they know that's possible, then they must know that when they turn it back on, the staple can cause a fire.

Much more likely to just see the insulation live.

Even the stupidest would notice that the fuse/breaker
keeps blowing when they turn the power on again.

Depends if the staple is big enough.

Nope.

Yip. A small staple might not blow the fuse but could get very hot and start a fire.

Nope. And I'm not stupid to be outside when its raining like that anyway.

Are you soluble?

Nope, just refer to stay dry in that sort of rain.

You're too stupid to even get out of the rain ?

Your problem.

It's only water.

Dunno why you bother with a roof at all.

Because the household items don't like it.

Nope.

Sound doesn't come through your open windows?

There is no sound to come in.

Rain hitting metal is loud.

Nope, not when its a pitched roof it isnt.

I've heard it, and it is loud. It must be worse with a flat roof.

And it isnt with the metal fences either.

They have gaps.

You cant see it at all with a flat roof.

I just said that up there ;-)

Everyone can see for themselves that you didnt.

I most certainly did.

Everyone can see for themselves that you didnt.

I did. But not in the correct time frame.

I wrote it before I got to this bit, but after you wrote this bit.

But everyone can see you said nothing like what you claim you said.

I said exactly what you did.

You quite sure you aint one of those rocket scientist fellas ?

I don't believe in age limits. Kids can make their own decisions.

Fortunately the regulatory authoritys have more of a clue than that.

Thats might just be why we dont let them drive around the streets etc etc etc.

If they can pass the test, why not?

Many of them cant even manage to look a back over their shoulders
when riding their bikes and not crash when they do that.

Then they would fail the test and not be allowed to drive. But I know kids that could drive better than a lot of adults if given the chance.

Nope.

Still stupid to let the kid do it.

Stupid kid to say yes.

Kids believe they are immortal. Thats why we use them in wars.

Darwin awards clean the gene pool.

It clearly hasnt helped with you.

My genes don't need a wash.

You need more than one, so that cant fly.

One is enough in mine. It's a small attic.

Most arent that small even in that soggy little island.

Yes they are.

No they arent.

Go check the average house size.

Sure, but there is a problem getting warned about needing
new batterys and even just hearing the alarm if it does go off.

Not what I've found.

Thats because you only have a tiny hovel.

I can hear the single little bleep of the low battery very easily.

And you may well not be able to do that when you get older.

The system has to allow for deaf old farts.

Most people don't go that deaf.

Plenty cant hear the low battery beep in a smoke alarm in the roof space.

I do not believe that most people are deafer than me.

Sure, wired alarms would work, but they arent legally
requited in roof spaces and few have them there.

**** the legal requirement, do what makes sense.

A single battery powered smoke detector that only kids can hear doesnt.

Most people don't go that deaf.

Plenty cant hear the low battery beep in a smoke alarm in the roof space.

Stop repeating yourself :-P

Not necessarily if you have it well insulated and with a proper floor.

The hatch isn't insulated.

More fool you.

Why would I bother insulating that tiny bit? It has to be what....less than 1% of the area?

And doesnt even cost 1% of the cost of insulating the ceiling
to insulate it when you do it with the inevitable offcuts.

And when I opened it bits of insulation would go everywhere.

You could always wire the sounder (and battery) in the house and the detector in the roof space like I'm doing with
my garage.

You could always install a full sprinkler system in the roof space too.

Water makes a mess inside.

So does the roof space catching fire.

If it alerts you, you can go up there with a CO2.

In a normal house too.

How many roof spaces do you have?

Its a ****ing big area, no single smoke detetector would be
viable and its far too far from one end to the other for anyone
to be able to hear the battery beep down the other end anyway.

You'd need the wired ones then.

I've actually got enough of a clue to do the wiring
properly so I wont have a fire in the roof space.

You never know.

And thats a legal requirement anyway, it was always going to
be inspected before I was allowed to move in, even tho I did
it all myself and had an electrician mate of mine claim he did it.

They've recently brought in nanny rules here about SELLING your house, but what you do with your own home is surely your own business.

You can get battery ones that connect together (or get mains ones, then you don't have to go into your chavvy
non-floored attic).

Dont have an attic, the roof space is only a tad over 1' deep
at most,

Chavvy flat roof.

not a lot of point in having a floor, we dont see too
many 10" midgets and even they wouldnt be able to walk
around in there, only the cat and the occassional mouse can
manage that and I dont plan to bother with a floor for them.

The occasional wire eating mouse. Or a possum.

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

Why do our kids have to take the Iowa Test for Basic Skills?
Why can't we have a Georgia Test of Basic Skills with questions like,
"Bubba's got three cars and he done traded for two more. How many cement blocks is Bubba gonna need?"