Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Dryer vents and gas meters...

On Mar 12, 12:16*pm, The Daring Dufas
wrote:
On 3/12/2012 9:45 AM, Han wrote:

The Daring *wrote in
:

On 3/12/2012 9:01 AM, Han wrote:
Jim * wrote in
:

On Sun, 11 Mar 2012 19:09:34 -0700, * wrote:

On 11 Mar 2012 21:34:04 GMT, * wrote:

If you had a gas leak in your house, could you get to the meter
quickly to shut it off?

If I had a bad gas leak, I'd leave the house and call 911 from a
safe distance.

Folks, we have a winner.

+1 [but have to ask. . . are there *good* gas leaks?]

Jim

Ok, English is my second language - I was going for the idiomatic
"bad leak" meaning much more than just a little bit of leaking.

Han my friend, if you didn't grow up speaking English, you sure do a
lot better with it than many of those who have. ^_^

TDD

Thank you! *I do appreciate that compliment. *I must admit that I have
experience speaking English since 1967 when I was assigned (I requested
it) to an American to do research on blood platelets for my Biochemistry
masters degree. *Since coming to the US in 1969, I have helped write and
have written many grant applications, most of which were (eventually)
funded. *For that to have happened my English would have to have been
acceptable to the reviewers, not just the science behind the words.

I helped my mother get her masters in psychology by doing her computer
statistics homework for her back in the late 60's. She would hand me a
big stack of punch cards and I would take them to the computer center
where the college had a shiny new IBM 360/50 RAX system. Oh yea, the
computers I played with in my youth took up whole floors of buildings.
Kids these days have no idea how easy they have it when it comes to data
processing and retrieval. I wonder how many have spent the day in a
library reading a stack of books just for fun? ^_^

TDD- Hide quoted text -

Punch cards? You had punch cards?

How about hundreds of feet of paper tape like seen here?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...letype1964.jpg

I like to remind the kids that I was IM'ing long before they were even
born. We used Telex machines to communicate between
stations...essentially on-line typewriters. There were even standard
abbreviations to make the messaging faster.