Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Planer question

On 3/12/12 10:37 AM, Doug Miller wrote:
wrote in :

[...]
That is pretty much the SMO for flattening boards with a twist, crook,
kink or bow. because in all these cases the planer will simply follow
the warp of the board.
However, cupping can be brought straight to the planer because, by
definition, the board is straight on the other two axes.

If cupping is the only flaw, and the board is otherwise straight with no twist or bow, then I'd
agree with you -- but IME cupping is usually accompanied by some degree of twist or bow as
well.

I don't want to get off on a tangent. I was dealing with the specific
facts presented.
It was purported that the planer "won't do any good on cupping" which
isn't true.

I was providing information to contradict the specific claim,
"the feed roller will simply press the [cupped] board flat, run it under
the cutterhead and out it will come recupped when the pressure is
removed."

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)