Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Planer question

On 3/12/12 9:52 AM, dpb wrote:
On 3/11/2012 3:51 PM, -MIKE- wrote: ...

most modern planers. I have a Delta 22-560 and the rollers are
about 1/16" proud of the blades. It has a maximum cutting depth
3/32"...

Interestingly, from the owners manual for the above machine I
find...

1. True Up One Face – Feed one face of the board over a jointer,
making thin cuts with each pass, until the entire surface is flat.
2. Plane to Thickness – Place the side you just surfaced in STEP 1
face down and feed the board through the planer, plane until this
side is flat. Then plane both sides of the board until you are
satisfied with the thickness, making thin cuts, alternating sides
with each pass. If during the planing operation you notice the
board twisting, warping or bowing, repeat STEP 1 and true up one
face.

The manufacturer recommends the same sequence of operations.

That is pretty much the SMO for flattening boards with a twist, crook,
kink or bow. because in all these cases the planer will simply follow
the warp of the board.
However, cupping can be brought straight to the planer because, by
definition, the board is straight on the other two axes.

Keep in mind as well that a board may warp as you remove thickness from
it. Things like grain pattern and internal stresses can cause this.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--