Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default Follow-up on wet camera / May need battery

On Mon, 12 Mar 2012 00:48:25 -0600, Tony Hwang
wrote:

I've looked all over and I can find it listed in the Panasonic
catalog, but no price, no way to order. Under parts for this camera,
Panasonic only lists the obvious ones. The big removable battery, etc.
all at outrageous prices. Something like 60 dollars for the battery
for a 90 dollar camera. . Another place sells them but I'll be
surprised if they will sell just one. I've filled out their Request
for Quote. I"m going to start another thread right after this one,
just to deal with the battery.

Hi,
Sorry to hear that your little camera is in trouble. First of all did

Thank you. It's no big deal. I didn't repeat that I got the camera
for free, because a stranger on freecycle put it in his swimming suit
while he was on a cruise ship and then got in the hot tub for a
moment. So I knew I probably couldn't fix it. I've actually made a
lot of progress. .

you try eBay for replacement battery?

No. Thanks. I should have tried ebay, and Amazon... I just did, and
they don't have it. So I didnt' waste the time of that company I did
write to. That's good, at least. (My guess is 2 dollars for the
battery and 10 dollars shipping. Or 5 dollars and 7 for shipping.)

Another thing, even if you make it
work again with all the hard work, there is no guarantee it'll like as
it supposes to.

Noted. And the manual went into this too. There are two sorts of
things to do before disassembling: Initial Setting Release and
Flash-Rom Data Backup, but since the camera does nothing, I can't do
them. Maybe it won't matter, except I think the loss of the backup
battery will matter. Still the repair manual talks about replacing
the backup battery, so it probably has enough instructions to get past
that. .

Then there are other "Measurements and Adjustments". "Details of
Electrical Adjustment", 3 crowded pages long. Then there's the
"built-in adjustment software", the release of the "initial setting"
and the re-doing of the "initial setting". So far I can't tell what
status it will have, or what I have to do. Great manual, far more
complicated than I expected. It will be interesting, and I'm looking
forward to that stage, if I get that far. . I'm glad I have another
camera.

I don't think I'll need this, at least not at first, but it also has
Error Code Memory Function, including ICS (Indication of additional
Camera Settings when picture was taken) function. 4 crowded pages.
My gosh this 90 dollar camera is complicated.

Time is money, how much time and effort are you going to spend with that
camera with residual value of lot less than 90.00.

A lot, but repairing things is far and away my prime hobby.

If I were you, I'd see if I could find a used one on eBay to get, and
that broken one as spare unit to keep.

Then, unless the newer one broke, I'd have nothing to repair.

Only time I dropped my camera was
wya back in 'Nam during the war, when I was ambushed by Cong sniper
driving on a remote highway under Huey gunship cover. When I jumped off
hurriedly parked Jeep, the camera strap around my neck came flung off.

I'm glad you weren't killed.

You've got a good excuse there. Mine is nowhere near as exciting, a
fat man I barely know in a hot tub.

Thanks.