Posted to rec.woodworking

Default O/T: computer question

Dave wrote in
:

Shows you how spoiled we are these days. My first computer was a
386-16. The 80 meg hard drive in it cost me over $800 just for the
drive itself.

At one point, I upgraded the 1 meg of ram to 4 megs. Cost me a
whopping $500 for that ram.

I have a TI994/a as my first computer. 1 mHz processor, storage was
mainly on cassette tapes, and the joystick up button didn't work if the
Alpha Lock key was down. There were no lowercase letters either. Lower
case was small caps. It came with a Speech Synthesizer so games could
talk to you.

Neat little machine, though. Even in 2012 Parsec is a fun game to play.
"Press Fire to Begin" it'd say. "Warning: Alien Craft Advancing." "Nice
Shot Pilot." "Nice Shooting." and a few more phrases.

It's responsible for my love of Small Caps fonts and TI calculators.

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.