Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] piper@nohoo.com is offline

Default What is a good treatment for wooden shovel handles

Over time the wooden handles on shovels and other garden tools tend to
dry out and crack. Particularly when they get weathered. I know it's
best to keep them indoors, but that dont always happen. I was thinking
about oiling all of them. But with what? Just plain motor oil, or
maybe some linseed oil? Actually I just tried some saddle oil on one of
them called Neatsfoot oil. I only did this because the bottle only had
enough in it to do one handle and I wanted to get rid of the nearly
empty bottle which was just wasting shelf space. But what is the
recommended or best product for this?

Thanks