Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

Default Tip A contractor?

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
On Mar 11, 6:33 pm, Frenchie wrote:
No experience with a contractor till this past weekend. Had my stoop
done with limestone steps and bricks. He was the lowest bid of 3, and
I was hesitant in hiring him and his crew..because he was from India.
He claimed he was licensed and i did see his number. I asked him to
show me work he had done and he did, and i was impressed. I decided to
hire him, not only cause of the lowest bid, but I felt that he had to
have a lower bid with all the American competition he had to face. One
wanted almost double what he asked for. Well, he and his crew ( one
guy who was experienced with bricks and the other and him with the
lime stones, did an excellent job...no regrets. I gave him the final
payment and either it was me, or him felt that a tip should be
forthcoming. I did not know how much to tip him, so I did not. Its not
too late yet, cause he is coming back tomorrow to pick up all his
tools and left over cement. its not like 15% of a diner meal...I was
thinking perhaps a hundred dollars? Or is that an insult?
He charged me for the job $2800 railings are extra ( 2 sides ) $720
to another contractor. Am I suppose to tip both of them if at all?

Am I the only one who noticed the bigotry in this post?

"I was hesitant in hiring him and his crew..because he was from
India."

Are you serious?

Do you really think his bid was lower because he faced "American
competition"? That means that you think that everyone else is as much
of a bigot as you are.

Why didn't you tell us what nationality the railing contractor is? I'm
going to guess it's because he's American.

In some areas, people from certain other countries, are developing a
reputation for trying to get into a line of work without full knowledge and
skills. We have such in our area, they often do not do work according to
code and will not fix problems they have created. Now, this is also true of
home grown citizens as well. But it creates caution with someone who may not
be articulate in the English language and use the lack of it to bluff
through. This is not bigotry, it is being cautious. On the converse, I would
probably assume that someone from India may have excellent skills in brick
and stonework, just as many Italian workers in this area had such skills in
the 1960s.