Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill[_37_] Bill[_37_] is offline

Default O/T: computer question

Leon wrote:
On 3/11/2012 1:42 PM, Bill wrote:
Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On Sun, 11 Mar 2012 06:18:36 -0500,
wrote:

It seems to me that most participants here are interested in price. A
new
computer costs, well, a lot and often you're paying for the newest
technology that's not really necessary.

Necessary to some. A guy at work is specing out a new computer. He
is in the $1800 range with a fancy graphics card, Quad processor, lots
of memory, etc. He needs it to store some music and pictures and his
wife can check here Facebook page.

Not to mention that he is also looking for the absolute lowest price,
no matter the quality of the components.

When I selected the parts for my last computer I spec'ed it out with
regard to lowest *sound* (i.e. the quietest)! I have to share an office
with the thing and those "fancy graphics cards" can be loud. For
instance, my graphics card uses ambient cooling (with a big heat sink).
The power supply was also hand-selected. Price and speed aren't
everything; there is a non-trivial premium to be paid for quiet! : )

Oddly my 1 year old desk top had 5 fans, power supply, CPU, video card
and 2 extra cooling fans. Really not loud at all. I know that some are
quite noisy but this one really does not draw attention.

Maybe a little louder when you "rev it up"?