Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default Planer question

On 3/10/2012 8:22 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 3/10/12 7:34 PM, dpb wrote:
The planer won't do any good on cupping anyway; the feed roller will
simply press the board flat, run it under the cutterhead and out it will
come recupped when the pressure is removed.

I remove cupping all the time with my planer. I don't think it's
possible for mine to do what you describe. It would have to be set too
low and I wouldn't be able to get the boards started.

That must be an interesting planer design that somehow manages to exert
a forward thrust on the material sufficient to push it through the
planer and take a cut while not bearing down on the material the same time.

Or, it's some other kind of wood than that which I can procure locally
that has an infinite moment of stiffness so it isn't affected by that
(nonexistant, of course) downward pressure.

How much, specifically depends on the thickness of the material and what
it is; nominal 1" white pine just ain't that strong; you can flex it
easily by hand. Run a piece of 3" roughsawn oak thru and yeah, the
deflection will be minimal.