Posted to alt.home.repair

Default wood shims to level refrigerator: so slide better, what paint?

I've used the square plastic things, designed to put under the feet of
furniture. Had good results with that.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"David Combs" wrote in message
Bought this new refrigerator. Installers couldn't crank the front
up enough so that the door would swing closed; instead, wants
to swing farther open.

So, I got a package of shims, maybe 1/3 inch at one end, triangles
down to a point (of course) at the other end.

Looks like cheap pine.

Which will deteriorate, get dirty, absorb spills, plus having
a weak (easily indented) surface.

So I guess it'd be best if I paint them first, with some HARD
finish (transparent?) paint.

Of course we'll probably tilt the refrigerator back so the
front feet come off the floor, and slide in the shims.

BUT, I'd like it a hard-enough surface that if necessary
we *could* pound (hammer) them in. (Maybe that's asking
a bit much?)

Anyway, suggestions as to what to paint them with.

And how many coats?

Or, ideas for other means than via shims at all. Or for
maybe laminating with some plastic stuff?

THANKS MUCH!

David