Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wild_Bill Wild_Bill is offline

Default air powered cutoff saws?

I've never noticed an air powered chop/cutoff saw, but that doesn't mean
much.
With a good air motor, one could be converted, though.

There are 30A breakers available for circuits wired with 10 gauge wire and a
appropriate plug/receptacle set, which might only be worthwhile if the saw
stays in one location (but that might provoke/summon the goddess of
electrical power Smocahontas).

I have an old genuine Chicago Pneumatic (not Chicago of the west Pacific)
handheld disk/wheel grinder that would zip thru long cuts in sheetmetal at a
fairly impressive rate.
I first used it when I was working in autobody collision repair, and I could
section out a quarter panel as fast or faster than with an air chisel.. and
with very little distortion of the sheetmetal.
And this was with a thick wheel maybe 1/4" thick.. I wasn't aware of any of
the thin glass-strand reinforced abrasive cutting disks back then.. around
1978.

The CP grinder is a bit of a monster as far as air consumption, but also
powerful. It incorporates a safety feature to release an internal steel ball
to block off the air source if the RPM exceeds a safe limit (never found
where that limit is though).
It definitely wasn't designed for autobody work, but heavy structural steel
work instead.

I saw one on eBag a while ago for some dirt cheap price, but that is one
tool that a dude doesn't need more than one of.

--
WB

"David Lesher" wrote in message
So the place wih big toys has 120V 12-14" cutoff saw. Rather like this
one:
http://www.drillspot.com/products/62747/Milwaukee_6180-20_Abrasive_Cut_Off_Saw?s=1a

It's a PITA, it regularly trips the 20A breaker under heavy
loads. {Why would anyone make a power-pig like that NOT
120/240???}

Got to wondering... how popular/available are air powered bench
cutoff saws? That shop has a good air supply given our duty
cycle.
--
A host is a host from coast to