Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lieutenant Scott Lieutenant Scott is offline

Default Ring mains

On Sun, 11 Mar 2012 06:54:53 -0000, ARWadsworth wrote:

brass monkey wrote:
"Rod Speed" wrote in message
Lieutenant Scott wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Lieutenant Scott wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Lieutenant Scott wrote
John Rumm wrote
Lieutenant Scott wrote

A good illustration of how instincts can be misleading
;-)

With installation method 101 (which is what I described
above), its already somewhat out of spec (installed
cable rated at 27A). If it were method 103 then its
significantly under rated for the application since the
cable is only rated at 23.5A in that situation:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...lation_Methods

That will be the saving grace if you are running it
installed using method 101 for example. (with 103, you
would probably still have a problem)

I didn't put the wire in, it was already there. I THINK
it's 6mm2, it looks like it from the outside, I've never
investigated. 103-ish, it's laying loose in some places
with insulation sometimes on top, sometimes underneath,
maybe sometimes both.

I wonder, all these people currently coming round (I've
had 5 in 2 weeks) wanting to add huge amounts of loft
insulation with government grants - do they check the
wires before adding piles of insulation? I doubt it.

Ours didnt. And we had a few of them killed

What exactly do you mean by "a few of them killed"?

A few of the insulation installers ended up quite literally
dead.

The fire presumably happened AFTER they'd finished the insulation
job,

They didnt die by fire.

so presumably someone murdered them?

Nope. At least one of them was electrocuted when he as actually
stupid enough to staple the foil insulation to the joists and ended
up doing that right thru the power wiring that had not been turned
off. We actually had the govt go back and test all of those for live
insulation installs.

At leas one of them died of heat stroke. The temperatures in
ceilings with metal roofs and 45C outside have to be measured to be
believed. Another was actually stupid enough to let the house occupier's
7
year old kid pass him the insulation thru a hole in the roof, with the
kid walking
around on the peaked roof with bare feet. Fortunately that kid
survived fine. One of the neighbours videoed it and it was splashed
across out equivalent of your BBC evening TV news and caused one
hell of a stink. Quite a few of the installers were illegals, mostly
indians.

and some house fires as a result too.

We killed the govt grant scheme because of the utter fiasco.

Interesting, I'll inform my neighbour who's getting it
done......

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/s...-1225698129364

Thats the one that got killed, look at the date.

"Because it's in an area that's undetected, it smoulders and
spreads for a lot longer and the issue is the occupier or the
owner is not aware of that until the roof starts collapsing,
especially at night, when they are sleeping".

First place I put a smoke detector was the attic.

This isnt the attic, its the roof space. There arent
too many that put smoke detectors in there.

The govt approved insulation installers certainly didnt and there's
be a hell of a problem with the batterys even if they did anyway.

The govt just killed the scheme and the minister got sacked.

Is this dialogue for real, I ask?

Adam, I think we need a few of your expletives here.

At least dennis is genuinely stupid and not just making it up like these
two.

Do you believe what he's said about the government scheme is incorrect?

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

Should crematoriums give discounts for burn victims?