Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lieutenant Scott Lieutenant Scott is offline

Default Ring mains

On Sun, 11 Mar 2012 01:00:41 -0000, Rod Speed wrote:

Lieutenant Scott wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Lieutenant Scott wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Ours didnt. And we had a few of them killed

What exactly do you mean by "a few of them killed"?

A few of the insulation installers ended up quite literally dead.

The fire presumably happened AFTER they'd finished the insulation job,

They didnt die by fire.

so presumably someone murdered them?

Nope. At least one of them was electrocuted when he as actually
stupid enough to staple the foil insulation to the joists and ended up
doing that right thru the power wiring that had not been turned off.

We actually had the govt go back and test all of those for live insulation installs.

I don't see what's wrong with stapling it, although stapling through a wire was stupid.

At least one of them died of heat stroke. The temperatures in ceilings
with metal roofs and 45C outside have to be measured to be believed.

I saw someone build a new house in Scotland with a metal roof. Why on earth would someone want to live in a tin shack, especially in a place with so much LOUD rain.

Another was actually stupid enough to let the house occupier's 7 year
old kid pass him the insulation thru a hole in the roof, with the kid walking
around on the peaked roof with bare feet. Fortunately that kid survived
fine. One of the neighbours videoed it and it was splashed across out
equivalent of your BBC evening TV news and caused one hell of a stink.

If the kid and his parents are happy with it, I don't see the problem. I certainly climbed on my parents roof for fun when I was that age.

Quite a few of the installers were illegals, mostly indians.

Maybe we should start supplying their country with free condoms.

and some house fires as a result too.

We killed the govt grant scheme because of the utter fiasco.

Interesting, I'll inform my neighbour who's getting it done......

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/s...-1225698129364

Thats the one that got killed, look at the date.

"Because it's in an area that's undetected, it smoulders and spreads for a lot longer and the issue is the occupier or
the owner is not aware of that until the roof starts collapsing, especially at night, when they are sleeping".

First place I put a smoke detector was the attic.

This isnt the attic, its the roof space. There arent
too many that put smoke detectors in there.

That's what I mean by attic. What distinction are you making? There's the rooms you live in, then there's the triangular bit above (and to the side if your upstairs is within the roof).

The govt approved insulation installers certainly didnt and there's
be a hell of a problem with the batterys even if they did anyway.

The house owner should have one in there. The battery is changed by going up through the hatch and changing it, just like any other smoke alarm.

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

"Do you like Kipling?"