Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default Residential Boiler Replacement Questions

On Sat, 10 Mar 2012 14:42:47 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

Then, when discussing the indirect version you said:

"The indirect system is just a very large coil within the tank, that
operates just like any other zone on the system."

So the obvious question is: Aren't the coils in the indirect system
subject to the same build up as in the combination units?

If so, why did you say "Definitely get an indirect water maker" in
your original response?

I'm not arguing, I'm just trying to learn.

You can get some information here
http://www.amtrol.com/boilermate.htm

http://www.energykinetics.com/system...tShowers.shtml
http://www.energykinetics.com/produc...ry.shtml#tanks

With oil, we have little choice as a separate oil fired water heater
is very expensive and electric is costly to run. With gas, you have
the option of an indirect fired tank or a stand alone system. If you
already have a new stand alone gas heater, it is, or course, less
costly to just replace the boiler. If both have to be replaced
anyway, look at the efficiency as the high efficiency boiler will
probably cost less to operate.