Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Servo amp repair

On Fri, 09 Mar 2012 17:09:24 -0600, Jon Elson

r. I will post a picture in the
metalworking.com dropbox later today. I think I'll try replacing any
electrolytics first and then try the solder joint thing. I did talk to
another Fadal owner who has these servo amps in his mills and they
exhibit the same behavior. He has been using these machines over 40
hours a week for at least a couple of years by using a hair dryer to
warm the boards in the morning. Once warmed this way the machines will
run fine all day.

Well, that's a RIOT! hair dryer? OK, with this additional info, it
is beginning to sound like a systematic problem, so the electrolytic
problem may be it. Hope you find it.

Jon

I took pictures today but forgot to bring the camera home so I will
post pictures tomorrow in the Metalworking dot com dropbox. There are
two or three electrolytics along one edge of the board and as these
are the only electrolytics (as far as I can tell) on the board I'll
replace them. I did look for any suspect solder joints with a 10x
loupe and didn't see any bad looking joints. Perhaps when the pictures
are posted someone will be able to give me an idea of what some of the
components may be.
Eric